Tomorrow I turn 18, so to celebrate and/or speed up my last hours of being 17 years old, here are 17 things I learned this year:
1. Fax machines ROCK when you live 3,000 miles away from your parents and can’t sign medical release forms because you’re a minor.
2. Make your friends your family.
3. In comparison to Ithaca winters, everything is warm.
4. It’s okay to call your mom 5 times in one day, or not for 5 days in a row.
5. Slut shaming hurts.
6. Let your best friends force you into taking risks every now and then.
7. Pride is seeing your name in print.
8. You should go home for Thanksgiving your first year of college.
9. Download the Find My iPhone app NOW.
10. Give everyone the chance to be your friend, but don’t let them abuse that chance.
11. Chopping your hair is super liberating.
12. Don’t take incredible scenery for granted.
13. Public transportation is the best.
14. Public transportation is the worst.
15. Talk to anyone who initiates conversation; you could end up being close.
16. Never pass up cornbread in the dining hall. Never.
17. Everything will be alright.
22 thoughts on “17 Things I Learned at 17”
Happy 18 !! Like your ideas
Happy 18th Birthday! I second number 3! Nothing compares to those Ithaca winter winds.
#17 is difficult to remember sometimes so keep this list handy. Andy Happy Birthday Sabina! (you can ditch that FAX machine now)
Thanks Ted! & so long fax machine!!
Happy birthday, but as a mum I have to say, be careful of number 6!
Thank you! And I am, but I’ve been letting my friends get me out of my shell a bit, and it’s a good thing :)
:) But mind; no pole dancing, now. No skinny dipping in municipal park lakes, no drinking competitions, no dancing on tables and definitely no going out with musicians.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Happy birthday! Hope you had a great day and have 18 more of these life lessons next year!
Thanks so much! I’m hoping to have some new wisdom next year for sure :)
Super Like! I remember when I was 17, good days!!
Thank you! Ah yes, I look back on them fondly, seems like only yesterday ;)
STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW YOU ARE BOTH FOUR MONTHS YET TWO GRADES OLDER THAN ME AT THE SAME TIME (math???)
MATH. I skipped a grade, and you probably missed the cutoff so you’re old for your grade?
OH that explains things! I am one of the oldest, but you skipping a grade AND making the cutoff makes you super young for your grade – that’s crazy.
(PS – I DECIDED TO START BLOGGING? Still working out the whole process though.)
Ugh I know I’m so so young. I graduated at 16, and I won’t turn 21 until after I graduate college sooo.
GURL IMMA CHECK OUT YOUR BLOG. It’s a learning process so no worries if it takes you a bit.
That’s crazy! Do you get your license at 15 or 16 in Oregon? Because I couldn’t imagine not having my car, especially my senior year!
YAY it’s still in the works but hopefully I can stay committed :) (I may be asking you lots of questions…)
Pingback: Six Months? | Victim to Charm
Well those have been some helpful tips… I’ll keep them in mind.
Love your blog.
Greetings from Panama, central America.
Pingback: 18 Things I Learned at 18 | Victim to Charm