Tomorrow I turn 18, so to celebrate and/or speed up my last hours of being 17 years old, here are 17 things I learned this year:
1. Fax machines ROCK when you live 3,000 miles away from your parents and can’t sign medical release forms because you’re a minor.
2. Make your friends your family.
3. In comparison to Ithaca winters, everything is warm.
4. It’s okay to call your mom 5 times in one day, or not for 5 days in a row.
5. Slut shaming hurts.
6. Let your best friends force you into taking risks every now and then.
7. Pride is seeing your name in print.
8. You should go home for Thanksgiving your first year of college.
9. Download the Find My iPhone app NOW.
10. Give everyone the chance to be your friend, but don’t let them abuse that chance.
11. Chopping your hair is super liberating.
12. Don’t take incredible scenery for granted.
13. Public transportation is the best.
14. Public transportation is the worst.
15. Talk to anyone who initiates conversation; you could end up being close.
16. Never pass up cornbread in the dining hall. Never.
17. Everything will be alright.